Slider

Parque Nacional dos Lençóis Maranhenses

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Lençóis sand dunes are a national park located in the Northeastern part of Brasil. It is a 380,000 acre park that includes coast line and rolling sand dunes. During the rainy season the valleys along the dunes fill with fresh water that doesn't drain. I had heard it was an amazing sight to see but couldn't imagine the sheer awesomeness. To reach the sand dunes is not for the faint of heart. It involved a 2.5 hour flight and then a 3-4 hour drive depending on how many flat tires you got on the worst road I've ever driven on. After passing 5 tire repair shops in a 5 mile span you understand that the roads aren't a joke. Thankfully I had some tire changing helpers in my car and shortly after this found a roadside repair shop that hammered out a bent rim. We took the roads much slower for the rest of the trip.



 Greetings from town
This is a day in the life with giant rivers running down the road, dump trucks hauling watermelon and bbq joints grilling meat and cheese

 Our first sight of the dunes after enduring a brain rattling off road jeep ride for 45 minutes
This has been my favorite Brasil trip but it takes time and patience to get here




 Watching the sun set over the dunes

 The next day we took a boat tour along the Parnaiba River
It included stops at "monkey island" were we had to watch our bags, snacks and hats or have them taken by the little snipers


   
 Stopping for an aqua coco

   
 Walked around but not up the dilapidated lighthouse and I always have to laugh when translation doesn't come out as one would expect. This must be how I sound to most Brasilians when I try to speak their language

and we ended our day with a swim in the ocean, 4x4 adventures on the beach and beach side lunch

Thanks Mike and Kiki for the trip and visit to Brasil

No comments:

Contributors

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan